Teacher Skills Assessment
Teachers migrating to Australia are required to complete a skills assessment through the Australian Institute for Teaching and School Leadership (AITSL). The AITSL will need to assess your qualifications against Australian Standards before you can apply for a Skilled Visa.
To be considered suitably qualified as a Teacher in Australia you must have 4 years (full time equivalent) of tertiary education. Therefore, you will have either:
- 4 years Bachelor of Education OR
- 3 years degree (any subject) AND 1 years PGCE/PGDE
You must demonstrate you have completed at least 45 days of supervised teaching practice as part of your compulsory initial teacher education program. This must be within the age range of students relevant to your nominated occupation. Work Experience does not count towards supervised teaching practice.
Employment based routes into the teaching profession such as the Graduate Teacher Program (GTP) or the School Centred Initial Teacher Training (SCITT) are not recognised as suitable by the AITSL unless the program results in a formal award with an academic transcript and a statement of supervised teaching practice, all issued by the institution awarding the teaching qualification.
Visa Go will advise you about what exactly is required and prepare these in readiness for assessment.
Occupations included under this category are:
- Early Childhood (Pre-Primary) Teacher (ANZSCO 241111)
- Primary School Teacher (ANZSCO 241213)
- Secondary School Teacher (ANZSCO 241411)
- Special Needs Teacher (ANZSCO 241511)
- Teacher of Hearing Impaired (ANZSCO 241512)
- Teacher of Sight Impaired (ANZSCO 241513)
- Special Education Teachers nec (ANZSCO 241599)
Please Note: Primary School Teacher (ANZSCO 241213) is on the STSOL and not eligible for application under subclass 189. All applicants must be state sponsored under the subclass 190 or 491.