Do you need a visa to teach in Australia?

At Visa Go Australia we help lots of teachers move to Australia.

Do you need a visa to teach in Australia? Our migration agent can advise you on visa options for teaching in Australia. Our trusted partner ANZUK Education assist in job finding and teaching registration. Together, we offer a complete and high-quality service.

Attend a free teaching webinar

If you need a visa to teach in Australia, you’re in the right place.

Working Holiday Visa

A working holiday visa is a popular option to live and work in Australia

Australian Working Holiday

A popular choice due to its ease and availability. If you want to teach in Australia short term, then this visa is for you. You must be aged between 18-35 at the time of application, and be an eligible passport holder.


  • Comparatively cheap visa application charge – $510 AUD
  • Quick and simple to apply online
  • Quick processing times – 1-14 days for a visa grant
  • Can be extended to a 3 year stay if specified work is completed during your stay. This doesn’t currently include teaching


  • Generally, you can only work with one employer for a maximum of 6 months. (This visa condition has been temporarily relaxed until 30 June 2023)
  • You may not be eligible for this visa – only specified countries and ages can apply
  • This is an individual visa – you cannot include a spouse or children

See if you qualify for a Working Holiday visa – do you still want to receive WHV assessments?

Happy family on beach

Moving with family? The skilled visa may be better for you

Skilled Migration

A skilled visa (subclass 189, 190 and 491) is suitable for those wanting to live in Australia permanently. This visa takes around 6-8 months to process, considering the different processes involved, and will cost around £3000. Depending on the subclass applied for, you will become a permanent resident of Australia or have a viable pathway to do so. You must be under the age of 45 at the time of invitation to apply for a skilled visa. You do not require an Australian job offer for this visa type.


  • Permanent residency visa (or defined pathway to permanent residency)
  • Work and study rights – no employment limitations
  • Can include spouse and children
  • Access to Medicare


  • Visa processing times can be lengthy (6+ months)
  • You must have the required qualifications for the AITSL skills assessment
  • Complex visa process subject to changes – using a migration agent recommended
  • Considerably more expensive than working holiday

Seek advice from our migration agent via our free skilled visa assessment.

You may find an Australian school offering employer sponsorship

Employer Sponsorship

Some Australian employers may be willing to offer you a job and sponsorship. An employer sponsored visa allows you to temporarily live in Australia whilst working for your nominated employer. You must first find an employer to sponsor you before applying for the visa.

Contact our partners ANZUK Education to source Australian teaching opportunities


  • Arrive in Australia with a job
  • Cheaper than skilled visa
  • Quick processing times
  • Can lead to permanent residency (depending on job contract)
  • Can include spouse and children


  • Must secure a job in Australia for the visa
  • Higher tax bracket than permanent residents
  • Tied to the employer which sponsors you

Get you visa to teach in Australia!

Additional pathways could include a partner visa or student visa. You can learn more about these options on our website. For most Australian visas, applicants must not have any substantial medical or criminal issues.

What next?

If you’re unsure which visa best suits you, seeking advice from a migration agent will be helpful.

We offer visa consultations over video call for just $100 AUD. Spend 30 minutes talking with our migration agent Darren Chatt MARN:0211214. Receive a personalised quote and advice following the conversation.

Book a visa consultation

NZ Licensed
© Copyright - Visa-Go Emigration Ltd