Closeness to family is often the reason people choose to leave their home land and start a new life in New Zealand. And many have found New Zealand a great place to live alongside their family. If you are a parent
and wish to move to New Zealand to be close to your child or children, you will need to apply for residence in New Zealand. Your child must be a New Zealand citizen or resident, and be eligible to sponsor you.
(Note that your sponsor must have been a New Zealand or Australian citizen and/or the holder of a Residence Permit or a Returning Resident’s Visa for at least three years immediately before the date your completed application is received by Immigration New Zealand.) If you wish to sponsor your parents
you must be a New Zealand citizen or resident, and must be eligible to sponsor your parent(s). A sponsor must:
- be 17 years of age or over
- be in New Zealand
- be a New Zealand or Australian citizen or the holder of a current residence permit that is not subject to requirements under section 18A of the Immigration Act 1987
- have been a New Zealand or Australian citizen and/or the holder of a Residence Permit or a returning resident’s visa for at least three years immediately before the date their registration is received by the New Zealand Immigration Service
- in each of the three 12 month portions within that three-year period, have spent a total of 184 days or more in New Zealand
- meet the minimum income requirement (unless they obtained residence in New Zealand as a refugee, or they are aged 65 years or older).
A sponsor must undertake to ensure that financial support and accommodation is provided to you, if necessary, for at least your first 24 months as a resident in New Zealand. Sponsors who gained residence in New Zealand on the basis of their status as refugees are only obliged to accommodate you for the first 24 months of your residence (if necessary).
A sponsor aged 17 to 24 must satisfy us that they are able to meet the undertakings given on the sponsorship form, and the minimum income requirement. Minimum income requirement
The sponsor and/or their partner must meet a minimum income requirement to show that they can support the applicant(s), unless the sponsor obtained residence in New Zealand as a refugee, or the sponsor is aged 65 years or older.
The current minimum income figure is $29,897.92 (gross) per annum. This is based on the unemployment benefit (married and civil union rate) plus the maximum accommodation supplement as set by the New Zealand Government. This must be met by income obtained from:
- sustained paid employment; and/or
- regular self-employment; and/or
- regular investment income.