Partner Visa

Partner migration to Australia may be an option for anyone who is married or in a committed relationship with an Australian citizen, an Australian permanent resident or an eligible citizen of New Zealand.

To Qualify for Partner migration to Australia, you must:

  • Be over 18 years of age
  • Have been in a committed and genuine relationship for at least 12 months with an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen.
  • Be living with your partner (except Fiancé(e) visa)

There are a number of visa options open to people wishing to migrate to Australia as a partner.

Spouse Migration

This visa applies both to couples who are legally married, and also to couples who are in a committed ‘de-facto’ (common law) relationship.

If you are seeking to apply as a de-facto couple you will usually need to provide evidence that you have been in a genuine and continuing relationship for at least 12 months.

Spouse visas can either be temporary or permanent, depending on individual circumstances. Temporary visas are valid for two years, at which point they can be transferred to permanent provided the relationship is ongoing.

Fiance (e) Migration

The Fiance (e) visa, or prospective marriage visa, is a temporary visa that is granted on the condition that you and your partner will marry in Australia within 9 months of your visa being granted. Once married, your visa can be transferred to a temporary spouse visa.

Applicants for the Fiance (e) visa do not have to be living with their partner or prove that they have been together for 12 months, so this visa may be a good option for couples who lack the required relationship evidence for a spouse visa.