Parent Visa

Contributory Parent – Permanent (subclass 143)

This visa is suitable for parents of any age, allowing them to migrate permanently to Australia. Applicants must have a child living in Australia who is either a citizen or a permanent resident, and at least half of their children must be residing in Australia. The applicant, their spouse and any other eligible dependent family members will:

  • have full working and study rights in Australia
  • have access to certain social security payments (subject to waiting periods)
  • be eligible to apply for Australian citizenship (subject to the residency eligibility criteria

Assurance of Support

Applicants for a Permanent Contributory Parent visa will be required to have an assuror in Australia who can complete an Assurance of Support, guaranteeing to support the applicant(s) financially for the first 10 years if required. Assurors must put down a bond for the principal applicant and spouse, which is refundable at the end of the 10 year period if unused. The assuror must be able to provide Australian tax returns for the last two years. The assuror does not have to be the same person as the sponsor.

Contributory Parent – Temporary (subclass 173)

This is a temporary parent visa, valid for two years. At any time during the two year period, holders of this visa can apply to transfer to a Contributory Parent – Permanent (143) visa, provided they meet the criteria. Applicants must apply for the permanent visa before their temporary visa expires.

This visa allows the applicant (and spouse, and any dependents) to live and work in Australia. Holders of this visa will also:

  • have access to Australia’s medical expenses and hospital care assistance scheme, Medicare
  • be able to study in Australia